I found this cook book on Amazon.
If you are familiar with the Boston area you know that the North End is the place to go for Italian food. This book is all authentic recipes from Italian families who came from Italy to Boston. I like it because the recipes are easy to make and have simple yet fresh and flavorful ingredients.
I decided to try the bolognese sauce and use ground turkey instead of a ground beef/pork mix because I had the turkey in the house.
As expected this sauce was easy to make and there is a lot of room to experiment with your own ingredients. Next time I am going to use a little less red pepper flakes – it was a little too spicy!
Be prepared to feed and army. This recipe makes a HUGE batch of sauce. Luckily it get’s even better as leftovers the next day 🙂 It would also be amazing in a lasagna or baked ziti dish.
Recipe adapted from The North End Italian Cookbook
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon each: dried basil, dried mint, red pepper flakes
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 28 ounce can of peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pot. Add the ground turkey and cook over high heat until partially browned – stir/break up the meat often with a wooden spoon.
- While the meat is browning dice your onion and mince your garlic.
- When the meat is browned add the onion, garlic and seasonings.
- Continuing cooking until the meat is a little crisp on the bottom. Lower the heat and add the tomato paste. Stir constantly until incorporated.
- Add the wine. Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the peeled tomatoes. Keep stirring over medium-high heat until bubbling.
- Lower the heat and adjust seasonings. Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring every few minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Serve over pasta and with some cheesy garlic bread…and a nice BIG glass of wine!!
FYI…This sauce freezes really well too!
One thought on “Turkey Bolognese”
yum i want that now.