I’ve had this recipe pinned from How Sweet It Is for some time now. I pinned it so I could try my hand at brown butter. With the help of Jessica’s step by step instructions browning the butter was an easy task and gave the cookies such a depth of flavor.
While I am usually a straight forward chocolate chip cookie lover, this recipe is definitely going to make it into the mix from now on!
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is
makes about 15-18 cookies
Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- Optional: 1- 2 tablespoons milk, if dough is crumbly
Preheat oven to 375 F.[br][br]
First you need to brown your butter…
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add butter.
- Whisking constantly, cook butter for 5-6 minutes or until bubbly and small brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan. Keep your eye on the butter the entire time and immediately remove from the heat once you see the brown bits.
- Whisk for an additional 30 seconds once off the heat. Set aside and let cool completely.[br][br]
While the butter is cooling…
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, oats and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Once butter has cooled, add to a large bowl. Whisk in sugars until smooth.
- Whisk in egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients – mix gently with your hands if necessary. If your dough is dry and crumbly add in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Form dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
You will notice these cookies don’t spread out as much as regular chocolate chip cookies during baking. At first I thought they were taking longer to bake which was not the case. Make sure to keep your eye on them so they don’t burn.
One thought on “Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies”
this cookie was so so good!