I always thought carbonara would be really hard to make but it’s actually surprisingly easy.
When I came across this recipe from Food52 (and realized I had all of the ingredients already in the house) I figured I would give it a try. It came out really good and was almost effortless. I will definitely be making this again!
I love when that happens.
Recipe adapted from Food52
- 1 lb penne pasta **spaghetti would work great too**
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 1/4 cup of frozen peas
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Boil a large pot of water, salt, and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, cut the bacon into small 1/2″ pieces. **It will be easier if you cut the bacon while it is still cold.
- Warm a stainless steel skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until crispy. Stir and break up the bacon pieces using a wooden spoon occasionally while cooking.
- Once bacon is cooked to your liking drain on a plate covered with a paper towel.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, parmesan, and pepper until you get the consistency of thick batter.
- Dump the peas into a microwave safe bowl with a little water. Microwave 3-4 minutes, or until the peas are warm, stirring halfway through.
- When the pasta is done, drain it quickly. Put the pasta back in the pot and pour the egg mixture over. Mix well to cook the egg with the heat from the pasta. Add the bacon and peas.