This past Sunday was cool and rainy – aka the perfect day to make Shepherd’s Pie. After a quick trip the grocery story I was ready to go. I like to make mashed potatoes from scratch and have a few different recipes I switch up using but you can use instant mashed potatoes as well. They make this a really quick dinner to throw together if you are in a rush.
The recipe I used today was one of my more elaborate ones. How else would you make mashed potatoes on a Sunday to have while watching the Patriots game?
- 4-6 baking potatoes (depending how big they are)
- 4 tablespoons butter (plus a little extra for the top)
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/3 of a bar light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1lb ground beef (80/20)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 cup of frozen vegetables (I used a mix of peas, corn and carrots)
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel and cut the potatoes into quarters. Put in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over a high heat. Boil the potatoes until the are tender enough that a fork easily pierces through them.
- Drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot. Add 4 tablespoons of butter, 1/4 cup of light sour cream, 1/3 of a bar of light cream cheese and 1/2 cup of milk.
- Mash until everything is incorporated and there are no lumps (you could use a mixer as well if you have one.)
- Season with salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.[br][br]
Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.[br][br]
- In a cast iron heated over medium heat add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef. Break apart the beef with a wooden spoon as it’s cooking to brown it.
- Once the meat is almost all browned add 1/4 cup of red wine (optional). Let the wine cook down for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Layer your frozen vegetables over the ground beef and onions.
- Layer 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top of the veggies.
- Top with the mashed potatoes.
- Place a few pats of butter on the top and sprinkle with a 1/4 teaspoon of paprika.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
So easy and you only need to dirty a few dishes to make it. This recipe is great because it tastes just as good leftover!
One thought on “Shepherd’s Pie”
yummy comfort food! gotta love that skillet