Every Patriot’s Day/Marathon Monday for the past 5 years my friends and I go to the Red Sox game. It has become a tradition we look forward to every year. A day of fun and celebration. This year will mark year 6 and each year we get more and more friends to join us on this special day.
Last years tragic events will forever change this day for us. We were in the Fenway area when the bombs went off, and I will never forget how scary it was and how quickly the streets emptied out. In the wake of tragedy the people of Boston showed how truly #BostonStrong they are and I couldn’t be prouder to be from this amazing city.
This year we are vowing to “take back the day” and use it as a way to honor all of the survivors, first responders, and especially those who lost their lives on Monday, April 15th, 2013.
One Fund Boston was formed by Governor Deval Patrick and Mayor Thomas M. Menino on April 16, 2013, with the purpose of helping those most affected by the tragic Boston Marathon bombings.
If you would like to donate to the One Fund you can do so here.
Below are some photos from the past few years…
I don’t really have a good segway into the recipe part of this post so I’m just going to go for it…
A few weeks ago at work we had an office block party. Each department chose a theme and brought in snacks and decorations. My department chose Fenway! Our talented graphic designers even drew Wally, the Red Sox mascot, on our window – he is still up there today!
Our office has over 300 people in it and is brand new as of March 2014. This block party was a great way to socialize with coworkers and get to know our new space.
My contribution was a cheese ball appetizer shaped like a baseball. This recipe was SO easy and I loved how it came out.
This is a great recipe because you can switch up the ingredients to your liking. Next time I am going to try a goat cheese and cranberry ball rolled in toasted almonds and nutmeg.
- :1 bar of light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of chopped scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 small container of whipped cream cheese
- 1 small red pepper – cut into small slivers.
- Assorted crackers
- Let your bar of cream cheese soften slightly in a mixing bowl. Add the Parmesan, scallions, onion powder, garlic salt and pepper. Mix until combined and taste. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Roll the cheese mixture into a ball, flatten the bottom, and place on to a plate lined with parchment or wax paper. Spread the whipped cream cheese over the ball to make it look all-white like a baseball.
- Cut your red pepper into small slivers to look like the laces of a baseball and press into the cheese ball.
- Serve with assorted crackers of your choice.