How Sweet It Is is my all-time favorite blog. Creator and writer Jessica has such unique recipes and I love her writing style. She inspires me because she is a self-taught home cook who has followed her passion for food and cooking and turned that into a successful blog and soon-to-be released cookbook titled Seriously Delish. I already pre-ordered my copy and can’t wait to see what city’s she will be visiting for book signings and events. Fingers crossed for Boston!
On top of Jessica‘s busy schedule she just announced on her blog that she and her husband will be expecting their first child this December. In honor of Jessica’s big announcement I made one of my favorite recipes of hers – Brown Butter Garden Vegetable Pasta Skillet.
This recipe is great for the summer because you can use any fresh vegetables you find at your local grocery store or farmers market. I altered the recipe slightly using mozzarella instead of provolone because that is what I had in the fridge (but I have made the recipe with provolone here). I also highly recommend getting fresh corn and cutting it off the cob rather than using frozen.
If you haven’t tried a recipe with brown butter I advise you do so ASAP. It adds a great depth of flavor that you can’t get otherwise. Here is a link to Jessica‘s post on exactly how she browns her butter, with pictures!
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 box of whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped into large pieces
- 2 ears of fresh corn, cut off the cob
- 1 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over a medium heat. Add the onion, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute for 10-15 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. If the vegetables begin to burn turn the heat down to low.
- While the pasta and vegetables are cooking, heat a small sauce pan over a medium heat. Add the butter and whisk constantly until it is bubbly and brown bits appear on the bottom (approx. 5 minutes). Remove the butter from the heat and set aside.
- Turn the heat off under the vegetables. Drain the pasta and add to the vegetable pan. Add the parmesan cheese and drizzle in the brown butter. Mix well then top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Put the skillet in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, or until the mozzarella is bubbly.
- Remove and garnish with parsley and extra parmesan cheese.
Here is a picture from when I made this recipe with provolone cheese instead of mozzarella.