Yesterday marked Day 1 of a new 21 Day Fix Extreme round for me! And I have been on a turkey meatball KICK!!
With eight weeks to Memorial Day I plan to do continuous rounds of the 21 Day Fix Extreme with 1 week of the original 21 Day Fix in between each extreme round just to switch things up. I can’t wait to rock all new cute summer clothes and FEEL GREAT in them!
This has been an exciting month as a Beachbody coach as well. My team is continuously growing and I have a handful of new coaches who are ready to rock this business and help other people reach their health and fitness goals! I became a Beachbody coach 6 months ago and it was the BEST decision I have ever made! It is fun and so rewarding to get messages from the other coaches on my team or our challengers reaching goals they never thought they could and feeling great!!
I want to pay it forward and help others who want this amazing opportunity for themselves. If becoming a health and fitness coach is something you have been thinking about or you are just curious about learning more about what me and my team do leave me a comment or email me at emily.goodmanBB@gmail.com.
Although the Turkey Meatball recipe I am sharing today I ate over whole grain pasta I plan to make these again and eat without the pasta. I am going to try to carb deplete a few times a week to help enhance my results these next few rounds which will mean many new recipes to post here! My roommate just purchased a spiralizer so I am thinking next time I have these meatballs I will eat them over Zoodles (zucchini noodles).
I just love saying that word. Zoodles.
This is a recipe makes such a large batch feel free to freeze some meatballs to enjoy at another time. I like to portion them out and freeze 5 meatballs together so I can just grab the correct portion size and thaw as needed. You can even make a double batch of sauce and freeze half of that as well!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (check the ingredients to make sure it only contains tomatoes)
- 1 cup of water
For the Meatballs
- 1.5 lbs of lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan Salt (or sea salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon of paprika (smoked paprika if you have it)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole grain quick cooking oats
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce (either make your own or use a store bought that has no sugar added)
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
For the Sauce:
- In a large sauce pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add diced shallot and crushed red pepper flakes (optional) and saute until the shallot is translucent, approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the dried basil and minced garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Continue to simmer while you cook the meatballs.
For the Meatballs:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with a non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, Himalayan salt, ground mustard, paprika, egg (lightly beaten), whole grain quick cooking oats, minced garlic, dried parsley and 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- Mix well by hand.
- Roll the mixture into 30 1-inch meatballs and lay on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake of 15-20 minutes at 400F. Remove from the oven and place directly into the simmering sauce.
- Serve over whole grain pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.
Serving size: 5 meatballs
Notes: 21 Day Fix container equivalents per serving (5 meatballs) 1 red, 0.5 yellow, 0.5-1 green (for the sauce depending how much you use)