Zoodles have been a game changer when it comes to meals in my house. Not only are they easy to make but they are a great substitute for pasta if you are looking to cut carbs. This recipe I usually make uses a full cup of cooked whole grain pasta but I decided to halve my pasta serving and add in zoodles instead. Feel free to use all zoodles and no pasta to make this a tasty low carb dish. Subbing out the pasta makes this recipe Paleo friendly as well!
This meal is 21 Day Fix approved and although it is not covered in a heavy sauce the seasonings used pack it full of flavor. This is a welcome addition to my rotating dinner menu. It still boggles my mind that I can eat like this and LOSE weight! I wish I knew this my whole life.
Since I have fallen in love with zoodles I am so excited to have partnered with Common Sense Goods to be able to offer 10 of my lucky readers the chance to purchase their own sprializer for only $5!!! That is over 50%!
If you want to get your hands on your own spiralizer use this discount code: WCPW5R9X
Get your sprialzier here and put the discount code in at checkout!
Thank you to Common Sense Goods for partnering with me for this recipe and the awesome discount for the spiralizer!
**Note – this is a single serving recipe. Feel free to double or triple the recipe to serve more people
FOR THE ZOODLES:
- 2 zucchinis
- a pinch of salt
Place a strainer over a bowl and set aside. Cut the end of the zucchini off and insert the zucchini into the spiralizer. Start to spin the zucchini to create “noodles”. Sprialize right into the strainer over the bowl.
Add a pinch of salt to the spralized zucchini and let sit for 30 minutes to a hour to release excess liquid.
The spriazlied zucchini will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- 4 oz whole grain pasta shells (or shape of your choosing)
- 1lb large shrimp, fresh or frozen and thawed
- Mrs. Dash seasoning, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups zoodles
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano (or parmesan) cheese
- Cook the whole grain pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving a 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Peel and de-vein your shrimp if using thawed frozen shrimp. Season with 1 teaspoon of Mrs. Dash seasoning mix. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil over a medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent, approx 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared zoodles and dried basil. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until the zoodles are cooked through but not mushy.
- Add the cooked pasta, cherry tomatoes, and pecorino romano cheese.
- Slow add in the reserved pasta water a few drops at a time to help melt the cheese.