Today I want to tell you about Community Servings.
Based out of Jamaica Plain, Community Servings is a meal delivery service for those who are home bound due to life threatening illness such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis and lupus. Preparing and delivering 9,600 lunches and dinners each week to over 920 different homes they ensure each meal is appealing and nutritious. Meals are customized for special dietary needs and are prepared to feed those who are currently ill as well as their caregivers and dependent children. They even have a children’s menu!
Along with providing meals to the critically ill, Community Servings offers a variety of programs for their clients and the community:
- Nutrition Education and Counseling Program – offers healthy eating courses focused on cooking, shopping, and nutrition along with monthly “Kitchen Talks” community workshops in their Nutrition Classroom
- Food Service Job-Training Program – a 12-week food service job-training program, focused on those with barriers to employment
- Volunteer Program – One of the largest volunteer programs in the area with over 850 volunteers per month helping to delivery meals and help with fundraising
- Meals for Many Social Enterprise Program – Using the increased capacity of their new facility they are able to provide healthy, nutritious, and affordable meals to nonprofits, schools, and agencies that work with other nutritionally vulnerable populations such as children and the elderly
- Technical Assistance Program – Focused on supporting individual agencies on a contract basis fostering the development of new nutrition programs in underserved communities throughout New England
- Local Food Program – Committed to using fresh, local ingredients in our kitchen, and aim to support and collaborate with local farmers, fishermen and food producers
- Step Forward Program – welcoming recent parolees into their kitchens as volunteers helping them to successfully reenter their communities while searching for employment
Inspired by the work that Community Servings is doing?
Get involved by volunteering to deliver meals to people in the 18 cities and towns throughout Massachusetts, help them fundraise by designing your own fundraising page and invite your family and friends to join and contribute, link to Community Servings on Facebook or Twitter, or becoming a pie seller by visiting Pie in the Sky and learn how you can raise money by selling Thanksgiving pies during the fall season.
Want to send a donation instead? A $28 donation will feed a critically ill person for an entire week!!
Each year Community Servings delivers 425,000 free, home-style meals to 1,450 people per year helping the critically ill and their families each and every day.
And find me and say hi 🙂