When I find a meal I love I become obsessed with it and find myself eating it every day. This usually goes on for a month or so until I find the next meal I can’t seem to live without.
First it was my shrimp with asparagus, cherry tomatoes and goat cheese pasta toss, then it was putting poached eggs over legit everything once I got the technique down (see here, here, and here), then it was my obsession with making a clean eating mac and cheese (here and here).
Now my current obsession is eggs over avocado toast. I have been doing a quick pan fried egg but poached eggs would great too – and would be even healthier for you.
I have heard people rave about avocado toast and actually thought it was really weird at first but boy was I wrong! This meal is so tasty, filling, and it makes you feel so good even after devouring it since it is packed full of protein, healthy fats and good carbs. I also love avocado toast because I don’t need to use any butter on my toast anymore.
I have recently switched over to using sprouted grain bread since it is a much healthier alternative to white flour or even whole grain bread. Sprouted grain bread has no added sugar and contains more protein and less fat that other breads. It is also easier to digest and contains no gluten. I love the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain bread and the Cinnamon Raisin bread which I toast and top with whipped cottage cheese and a pinch of cinnamon for a snack. Don’t knock it until you try it – it’s delish!
Check out this list of what store bought breads to avoid and which are the healthiest on the market from foodbabe.com. It blows my mind to see brands that I used regularly such as the Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain and the Thomas’ English Muffins contain SO many artificial ingredients, high fructose corn syrup, and food coloring. What the heck is Azodicarbonamide??
If you don’t know what it is, and especially if you can’t pronounce it, STAY AWAY FROM IT! Read your labels people!! Just because it says it’s whole grain does not mean it is the healthiest option for you.
I hope you give this quick, easy, and visually stunning recipe a try. If you do, let me a comment on this post and let me know how it came out! I always love hearing from you 🙂
- 2 slices of sprouted grain bread
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- Dash of lime juice
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 eggs
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Toast the sprouted grain bread until golden brown.
- While the toast is cooking, slice an avocado in half. Store half according to the notes below. Scoop out the other half into a small bowl and squirt in lime juice.
- Mash with a fork and then spread evenly over your toast.
- Spray a skillet with olive oil cooking spray and heat over a medium-high heat.
- Once hot crack 2 eggs into the pan and top with pepper.
- Once the whites of the egg start to set flip the eggs over and turn off the heat.
- Cook the eggs for an additional 30 seconds – 1 minute in the hot pan until all the whites are set but the yolk will still be runny.
- Place the eggs on top of the avocado toast.
- Top with hot sauce (optional).