To kick off 2016 I am co-hosting and online wellness group filled with 94 other people who want to make this year their healthiest and happiest yet! It is my largest wellness group I have been a part of and I love surrounding myself with like-minded people who have similar goals and who want to celebrate each others successes.
Every morning I get excited to wake up and check in with the group. I always smile SO BIG when I see the sweaty selfies from the early morning workout warriors or read a post about someone who created a great recipe.
We have plans to keep this group running through the end of February so if sounds like a community you would like to be a part of we would love to have you! Leave a comment on this post or email me at email@example.com to find out how to join!
Today I am excited to share a yummy and hearty salad I made up on a whim using ingredients I had in my fridge. I am a HUGH butternut squash fan and when I see it pre-peeled and chopped for sale at the grocery store I always grab it. It is such a time saver!
I had tried Kamut as part of a Blue Apron box a few months ago and fell in love with the grain. It has such a nice bite to it, a wonderful nutty flavor, protein levels of 12-18%, is certified organic, and free of 99% of contaminating varieties of wheat! Some people with wheat intolerance have even found they can eat Kamut since it is easier to disgest and makes a great common wheat substitute.
Feel free to substitute out the Kamut in the recipe for more common whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, or farro.
I like to make my own clean eating dressings and for this recipe I made a light and tasty Honey Mustard Vinaigrette from my Fixate cookbook. I halved the recipe and it still made plenty! I love this cookbook because there are so many tasty recipes and for each one it tells you how many of your containers to count for an individual serving. It is perfect for me since I follow the nutrition plan from the 21 Day Fix program.
You can get this dressing recipe along with over 100 other great Fix-approved recipes here.
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup cooked kamut (quinoa or brown rice would work as well)
- 2 tablespoons homemade honey mustard dressing
- Meanwhile, place baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, and shredded carrots on a plate and set aside.
- Once the butternut squash is almost cooked through add the kamut. If your pan is getting dry add a tablespoon of water.
- Saute until the butternut squash is fully cooked and can be pierced easily with a fork and the kamut is warmed through.
- Place the cooked butternut squash and kamut on top of your salad and top with honey mustard dressing.