I love a good stir fry because it is a great way to use up vegetables I have in the fridge and there is something so comforting about the warm tasty sauce covering all of the veggies and rice or quinoa. You can also make this dish low carb/no carb by skipping the quinoa or rice all together!
If you have a few staple sauces in your pantry a flavor-packed stir fry takes only about 30 minutes to whip together. You can even make the sauce a head of time and store it in your fridge. I store mine in a mason jar and just give it a good shake to combine everything before using it.
My tip for you if you are going to make a stir fry – cut and prep everything before starting to cook. All of your ingredients don’t need that much time in the pan so having everything chopped and ready to throw in will keep you from over cooking ingredients or burning anything. I also make my quinoa (or rice) and toast my sesame seeds in advance. Using leftover quinoa or rice from a different meal works great too!
Happy stir frying!!
Adapted from Tastes Lovely
- STIR FRY SAUCE
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES STIR FRY
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 cups of quinoa, cooked according to the package directions
- STIR FRY SAUCE
- In a mason jar (or bowl) combine all of the stir fry sauce ingredients and mix to combine. Set aside.
- CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE STIR FRY
- Heat a large skillet over a medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the cubed chicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, flipping the pieces over halfway through. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and broccoli to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes until all of the vegetables are cooked through. Add more olive oil if needed during cooking.
- Once all of the vegetables are cooked return the cooked chicken to the pan.
- Pour the stir fry sauce over the mixture and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm over cooked quinoa and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.