If coconut shrimp is on a menu it is pretty much guaranteed I am ordering it. But if you are craving it at home it is actually super easy to make and you can air fry, sauté, or bake it depending on what you prefer! In the directions I have shared how to cook it all 3 ways.
This recipe is adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen
Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Apricot Dipping Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes depending on cooking method
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails on
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs beaten with a fork
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- Rinse shrimp in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Set up 3 bowls:
- In the first: Flour, garlic powder and tsp salt.
- In the second: 2 beaten eggs and greek yogurt.
- In the third: Coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs.
- Dredge shrimp in the flour mixture, then dip in the egg mixture, and finally dip in coconut panko mixture. Press the coating onto the shrimp so it sticks.
- Transfer shrimp to a platter and repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Cook the shrimp using any of the methods below:
- To air fry: Heat air frier to 400 F. Spray breaded shrimp with olive oil cooking spray. Air fry for 10-12 minutes, flipping shrimp halfway through until golden brown and shrimp is pink and fully cooked through.
- To sauté: Heat a large pan over medium heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom. Add shrimp and sauté 2 minutes per side until golden brown and shrimp is pink and fully cooked through. Cook in batches to avoid overcrowd the pan. Transfer cooked shrimp to a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up excess oil
- To bake: Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Spray breaded shrimp with olive oil cooking spray. Lay shrimp on a baking pan and cook for 12-14 minutes, flipping shrimp halfway through until golden brown and shrimp is pink and fully cooked through.
- Make the dipping sauce by mixing together sweet chili sauce and apricot preserves.