Today is Day 21…the final day of my 21 Day Fix challenge! I cannot believe how fast it flew by and I am so proud of myself and my friends who did it with me for completing it.
The 21 Day Fix program promises that you will lose 5-15 lbs in 21 days and I am so excited to share that on Day 21 I have lost 7 lbs and 9.5 inches!!! The real excitement came when I put on a pair of jeans that used to be too tight and now fit great – no better feeling than that!
While I am still not at my final goal, my roommate and I are starting round 2 first thing tomorrow and I can’t wait to update you as to where I end up after another 21 days. This round is going to be tough as I need to travel for work for almost a week starting on Saturday. Luckily I can bring my DVD’s and Shakeology with me on the road because I can’t even imagine a morning now that doesn’t start with a shake!
Since I loved the 21 Day Fix program and my Shakeology so much my coach Colleen encouraged me to become a Beachbody coach myself. At first I was hesitant but after reading all about it I realized it was a great opportunity to talk with other people interested in trying Shakeology or any of Beachbody‘s programs and to help them get started.
One of the parts I liked best about these past 21 days was being part of a Facebook group of people from all over the country completing the 21 Day Fix at the same time. It was such a fun place to share our successes, get motivation and of course share recipes and photos! So if the 21 Day Fix, Shakeology or any of Beachbody‘s amazing fitness programs sound exciting to you please don’t hesitate to reach out to me! I would love to chat with you about it and share my experience as well as add you to our ever growing Facebook group and we can do another round together 🙂
Today’s recipe is a Pork Chop and Whole Grain Penne in a Butternut Squash Sauce. Don’t let the pictures deceive you – this looks like it is coated in oil and cheese but IT’S NOT. This dish is packed full of flavor and is a great healthy comfort food option.
- 1 small butternut squash
- ¼ teaspoon olive oil, pepper
- 1 cup of water or organic vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon of olive oil
- ¼ cup shallots, diced
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 4 oz of whole grain pasta
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Dried thyme
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- Halve and seed your butternut squash. Rub the ¼ tsp of olive oil and pepper on the halved squash
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and roast the squash cut side down for 40 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender.
- Let cool and scoop the squash into a blender (or magic bullet – you might have to do this in batches).
- Blend adding the water or organic vegetable stock in ¼ cup increments until smooth.
- Sauté the shallots and the fresh sage leaves in the other ¼ tsp of olive oil for 4-5 minutes over a medium low heat until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the pureed butternut squash, parmesan cheese and a pinch of nutmeg
- Add more water or organic vegetable stock if needed to thin out the sauce.Keep over a low heat.
- Season the pork chops with paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme and ground pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium low heat.
- Add the pork chops and cook for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the second side is browned and the pork is cooked through.