Yesterday marked Day 1 of a new 21 Day Fix Extreme round for me! And I have been on a turkey meatball KICK!!
With eight weeks to Memorial Day I plan to do continuous rounds of the 21 Day Fix Extreme with 1 week of the original 21 Day Fix in between each extreme round just to switch things up. I can’t wait to rock all new cute summer clothes and FEEL GREAT in them!
This has been an exciting month as a Beachbody coach as well. My team is continuously growing and I have a handful of new coaches who are ready to rock this business and help other people reach their health and fitness goals! I became a Beachbody coach 6 months ago and it was the BEST decision I have ever made! It is fun and so rewarding to get messages from the other coaches on my team or our challengers reaching goals they never thought they could and feeling great!!
I want to pay it forward and help others who want this amazing opportunity for themselves. If becoming a health and fitness coach is something you have been thinking about or you are just curious about learning more about what me and my team do leave me a comment or email me at emily.goodmanBB@gmail.com.
Although the Turkey Meatball recipe I am sharing today I ate over whole grain pasta I plan to make these again and eat without the pasta. I am going to try to carb deplete a few times a week to help enhance my results these next few rounds which will mean many new recipes to post here! My roommate just purchased a spiralizer so I am thinking next time I have these meatballs I will eat them over Zoodles (zucchini noodles).
I just love saying that word. Zoodles.
This is a recipe makes such a large batch feel free to freeze some meatballs to enjoy at another time. I like to portion them out and freeze 5 meatballs together so I can just grab the correct portion size and thaw as needed. You can even make a double batch of sauce and freeze half of that as well!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (check the ingredients to make sure it only contains tomatoes)
- 1 cup of water
For the Meatballs
- 1.5 lbs of lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan Salt (or sea salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon of paprika (smoked paprika if you have it)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole grain quick cooking oats
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce (either make your own or use a store bought that has no sugar added)
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
For the Sauce:
- In a large sauce pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add diced shallot and crushed red pepper flakes (optional) and saute until the shallot is translucent, approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the dried basil and minced garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Continue to simmer while you cook the meatballs.
For the Meatballs:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with a non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, Himalayan salt, ground mustard, paprika, egg (lightly beaten), whole grain quick cooking oats, minced garlic, dried parsley and 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- Mix well by hand.
- Roll the mixture into 30 1-inch meatballs and lay on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake of 15-20 minutes at 400F. Remove from the oven and place directly into the simmering sauce.
- Serve over whole grain pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.
Serving size: 5 meatballs
Notes: 21 Day Fix container equivalents per serving (5 meatballs) 1 red, 0.5 yellow, 0.5-1 green (for the sauce depending how much you use)
26 thoughts on “Turkey Meatballs”
I made this last night and they were fantastic! So moist and flavorful. Thanks for a GREAT recipe!
You just made my day!!! I am so glad you liked them 🙂
Hey, does the 1 red and 1/2 yellow also include the sauce or is that just for the meatballs? Thanks!
Hi Kristie, the 1 red and 1/2 yellow is just for the serving size of 5 meatballs.
If i added 2 blues of cheese to the meatballs what would be my new 21 day fix containers 1 red, 1/2 yellow, and ___ blue??
I would count it as 1/2 blue container per serving size of 5 meatballs!
This is sooooo good!!! I made this and substituted zoodler for pasta- it was perfection!!!
Love to hear that! I am so glad you enjoyed it!!
Hi…just making this and wondering how I could count the pasta and sauce??
Hi Cindy – I make the pasta and then portion out 1.5 yellows of pasta and 0.50 green of the sauce. Hope this helps!
Could I use steel oats instead of the rolled oats?
You probably could! You might want to crush them up a little bit or ground them in a food processor first though!
Omg!!!! These meatballs are the best ever! I followed recipe exactly. From now on , this is my new meatball recipe even if I’m not doing 21 day fix. Thanks for sharing it
You made my day Karen!! I loved reading your comment and totally feel the same way!! I just made a double batch and froze them in individual portions of 5 meatballs each for an easy meal to grab from the freezer and defrost 🙂
Hi, I’m so excited to try these! They are in the oven now. I want to freeze half of them. Should I freeze them raw, or bake them and freeze? and then just add to simmering sauce frozen?
Let me know how these came out, I can’t wait to hear!! I freeze mine cooked and usually freeze them with some of the sauce I made. If you freeze them without the sauce I would defrost them first and then add them to sauce to warm through.
They are in the oven now! Can’t wait to try them!
Let me know how they come out!
Do you not count the tomato sauce as a purple container??
Jamie, check out this video from Autumn explaining when to count tomato sauce a purple vs. green. Since I made my sauce and controlled everything that went in it (aka no sugar, no carbs) it would be counted as a green! https://www.facebook.com/autumncalabresefitness/videos/1662374950659709/
I don’t use the 21 day fix containers, but instead count calories, would you happen to know the calorie count of these meatballs? The are wonderful by the way. I’ve made them twice and love them!
Hi Tina – so glad you like the meatballs! I unfortunately do not know the calories since I am following the Fix meal plan and go by the containers.
These look amazing!!! They will definitely be added to my Sunday prep list. Let me ask, what would you think about subbing bread crumbs for the oats? A full yellow per serving maybe?
If I was going to sub for breadcrumbs I would use whole grain (if possible) and use 1/4 cup (instead of the 1/2 cup of rolled oats) but still count 5 meatballs as a 1/2 yellow. If I used 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs I would count it as a full yellow 🙂 Hope that helps and let me know how they come out! I would love to hear!!
The package of turkey is usually 1.25 lbs did you add another 0.25 lbs of a package? I just want to make sure I make this awesome looking recipe correctly! Thanks
Mine came as 1.5lbs but you will be fine using 1.25 – they will still come out great!