Macaroni and cheese is one of my FAVORITE foods of all time! I think I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. A friend of mine gave me this awesome and super easy mac and cheese recipe that everyone is always crazy over.
I had my sister over for dinner last week she asked me to make it for her. Try it out…I promise you will love it too 🙂
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb cooked pasta
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 2+ cups of cheddar cheese (I mixed a white and orange cheddar!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs coated in melted butter
- Crushed Ritz crackers would also be a yummy topping for this!
Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.[br][br]
- Cook the pasta in salted water for 3 minutes less than the package directions (it will finish cooking in the oven).
- Drain and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. (put a little olive oil or butter on the pasta so it doesn’t stick together)
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan over a medium heat.
- Whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour and allow to cook for 1 minute until a light roux forms (it will be bubbly and a light brown color).
- Add the milk and heavy cream and whisk over a medium heat until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheddar cheese one handful at a time. Taste it to see if you need to add more cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Once all the cheese is melted add the cooked pasta. Add a little pasta water if the cheese sauce is too thick. Put the pasta/cheese mixture in a baking dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes of until it is bubbly and the breadcrumbs have browned (cover with foil and continue to heat of the breadcrumbs start to burn).
Crushed Ritz crackers would also be a yummy topping for this![br][br]If you want to do individual servings just use small oven safe bowls and top each one with the Panko breadcrumb/butter mixture.