Today starts my second experience with the 3 day refresh – a 3 day plant-based cleanse that includes my favorite meal of the day, Shakeology!
While it’s not the most fun 3 days it is SO worth it because you will see results in both weight and inches lost as well as reduced bloat and cravings 🙂 It is perfect to do if you are gearing up for a vacation, are just back from a vacation you indulged a lot during, after the holidays, before a big event, or any time you feel you need a jumpstart (like before starting a new workout program!).
There are two options when you get the refresh:
- 3 Day Refresh Challenge Pack – includes a 30 day supply of Shakeology **this is my recommendation so you can continue to see results after completing the 3 days
- 3 Day Refresh Complete Kit – only includes 3 days worth of Shakeology
Check out this quick video to learn more about what the 3 Day Refresh is:
When doing a refresh you definitely need to PLAN AHEAD. It requires a lot of fresh fruit an veggies and your meals will break down like this:
- Breakfast: Shakeology and 1 serving of fruit
- Mid-Morning Snack: Fiber Sweep drink
- Lunch: Vanilla Fresh shake with 1 serving of veggies, 1 serving of fresh fruit, and 1 serving of healthy fat
- Mid-Afternoon Snack: 1 serving of veggies, 1 serving of healthy fat
- Dinner: Vanilla Fresh shake and dinner recipe from the 3 Day Refresh eating guide (optional: 1 cup of vegetable broth with seasonings)
You can also have herbal or green tea throughout the day.
I was most afraid of the fiber sweep drink after reading people say how horrible it was. After drinking it I honestly don’t think it is that bad. I shake mine in a shaker cup with 8oz water, lots of ice and add some lemon juice. The trick is to drink it quick since it does thicken if you let it sit and THEN it is gross.
I also blend my vanilla fresh shakes with water, ice, vanilla extract and cinnamon since I am not a huge vanilla fan. If you drink the vanilla recharge drink from the performance line this reminds me a lot of that!
What I love most about the 3 Day Refresh is that you get to eat real, solid food during it. Yes it is plant based but I promise you won’t go hungry and you WILL see results. I can’t wait to share mine come Thursday morning so make sure to check back and see how I did!
Here is an example of one of the dinners I made from the last time I did a refresh. This salad was filling and I loved the crunch of the pumpkin seeds on top. Tonight I am making a ginger veggie stir-fry from the recipe book. This is actually one of my favorite recipes and I continue to make it even when I am not doing a refresh and I add chicken because it is so flavorful! Be on the lookout for a picture of the meal tomorrow!
Grocery Shopping and Meal Prep Tips
Here is what my grocery haul looked like for this week as I prepped for the refresh and the meals I would cook later in the week. The total cost includes my Shakeology and I shop organic at Whole Foods. I used to think I would never be able to afford organic food, let along from Whole Foods but by following the tips below I have been able to make it work in my budget. I also buy only food items at Whole Foods and buy household items (detergent, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.) on Amazon Prime or at Target to get them at a better price.
- Make a menu in advance – knowing exactly what you need and sticking to your list helps you get in and out of the store faster and stops you from impulse buying.
- Look what is on sale and adjust your menu if needed – I swapped out the $7 strawberries for the kiwis that were on sale 5/$2. I do this a lot with proteins as well such as swapping cod for the salmon that is on sale. If you can be a little flexible in your choices your wallet will thank you
- Buy in bulk – my friends make fun of my (lovingly) because I buy in bulk for a lot of household items as well as food in bulk. I am not a hoarder, there is a method to my madness. For example, instead of buying the 3 pack of chicken breasts that are pre-trimmed of excess fat for $10/pack I buy the value size that usually has between 8-10 breasts for around $17. When I get home I break out the cutting board and knife and clean them all at once and then portion them into freezer bags with 1-2 pieces per bag to use at a later date. This means I won’t need to buy chicken when I grocery shop the following week. Just make sure to label your bags with the date so you remember when you bought them.
- Find ways to use the same ingredient in multiple recipes to reduce waste and minimize food spoilage – If you are cooking for a family you may not run into this problem as much but if you are cooking for 1-2 people you may find you buy too many different ingredients and end up throwing half of them out at the end of the week. No bueno. As you plan out your menu for the week find ways to use your proteins and produce in different ways. For example, I love asparagus so one day I might have it in an omelette and then next night I might roast it or throw it in a pasta toss for dinner. If you are following a recipe you made online don’t be afraid to sub out ingredients. Maybe the recipe calls for broccoli but you have a ton of asparagus still left – use the asparagus!
You can do it!
Nervous to try the 3 Day Refresh? I was too! If you are thinking about trying it out leave a comment on this post or send me an email at simplygourmetinsouthie.com and let’s chat! I would love to support you and help you through the 3 days!