I am so excited to be kicking off the Healthy Holiday Virtual Potluck this morning!
Over the next few weeks I will be sharing some great potluck recipes created by myself and fellow bloggers Jaime from La Vie Jaime, Zoe from One Beet Wellness, Renee from Eat. Live. Blog., and Jessica from Champagne Thursday.
Follow our potluck on social media using #BostonPotluck!
Along with featuring some really yummy recipes we are excited to be able to host a giveaway featuring cookbooks from The Harvard Common Press. FIVE winners will be chosen on Monday, January 11th.
Winners will get to choose from this list of cookbooks:
Enter here for your chance to win!
To kick things off today I am sharing my Ground Turkey and Zucchini Lasagna recipe. By using zucchini in place of half of the noodles I was able to significantly cut carbs out of this dish. I typically would have used whole wheat or whole grain noodles for this but I wasn’t able to find any at Whole Foods which surprised me. Feel free to substitute all of the pasta out for zucchini to make this totally carb-free!!
The ground been sauce is so hearty is would be great on it’s own over spaghetti or zoodles as well. It will make more sauce than you need for the lasagna so it is great to freeze for future use.
If you are following the 21 Day Fix I counted 1 piece of this lasagna as 2 green, 2 yellow, 1 red, 1 blue, 1 spoon.
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1lb ground turkey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 28oz cans whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Parmesan (or Pecorino Romano) rind (optional)
- FOR THE LASAGNA
- 2 large zucchini, sliced thin
- 1/2 box of lasagna noodles (approx. 9 noodles)
- 15oz part skim ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- FOR THE SAUCE
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pot over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, approx. 5-6 minutes
- Add the ground turkey. Using a wooden spoon break up the meat and cook until browned, approx 7-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the whole tomatoes, agave, salt, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer while you prepare the lasagna.
- FOR THE LASAGNA
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 2 minutes under the recommended cooking time, approx 7 minutes.
- Using a mandolin slicer or a sharp knife slice the zucchini into thin slices. Lay on a paper towel and season with salt to draw out excess water.
- In a mixing bowl mix the ricotta, egg and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Drain the lasagna noodles and run under cold water to stop them from cooking.
- Ladle a scoopful of the simmering sauce in the bottom of a 9×9 casserole dish.
- Layer zucchini slices over the sauce.
- Spread some of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the zucchini.
- Top with a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese.
- Layer lasagna noodles on top.
- Repeat the process starting with more sauce until all your ingredients are used up.
- Top with sauce and mozzarella and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered. Uncover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
2 thoughts on “Ground Turkey and Zucchini Lasagna”
I made this last night, and it was wonderful! I added sauteed onions and mushrooms. My boyfriend loved it.
Oooo those additions sound SO YUMMY! I am glad you guys enjoyed it 🙂